Reasons to be cheerful

On those mornings when nothing goes according to plan it is sometimes hard to remember the answer to this simple question,why? Why do I do this? Why doesn't anyone listen to me? Why is it I'm the only one who seems bothered/upset/angry by the situation? Why oh why oh why?

Now, as I have said countless times, I am married to my perfect partner (perfect for me, not you, back away, further, further.....thank you) without whom none of anything in Castle accidentalhouselife would be possible. The adverse effect of this is when it is going wrong, it goes wrong for everyone. Let me paint a picture. It's 6.30am, for once neither child 1 or child 2 are awake. Unknown to the wife and I the alarm clock no longer works. We are now 30 minutes behind schedule and the wife begins to stress. The commute to work is a long one and departure time is crucial. Stress turns to panic, panic to anger and the anger gets directed to me (as I said perfect for me, not you). As we then cascade down the hierarchy of the Castle ultimately it's child 1 and 2 who get it in the neck. What follows are raised voices, silly disagreements, tears, tantrums (the kids, not the adults....although, no, different post). The wife departs, the kids and I are barely speaking as I stew in the kitchen at the injustice of the morning. Along comes the Why?

But then, an amazing thing happens that only those with children will ever get to experience. Out of nowhere comes a hug. It's unsolicited, unexpected but the most wonderful thing. A hug. Maybe followed by an "I love you Daddy". The pointless anger dissolves. Then a phone call from the wife, an apology, both ways, and the morning begins to feel better. It's so easy to get lost in the small things especially as a full time stay at home parent. The small things make up most of our day, ironing uniforms, packing lunches, loading and unloading dishwashers, cleaning the house, making dinner. None of these are life changing or even important events, but it's what we do, every day.

Now here's the weird thing. Those small things add up. The tiny accomplishments mean the house works. Watching the children play because they have room to, the "thank you's" for dinner, breakfast, how the house looks are little tastes of happiness that never grow old. Having an accidental house life may be repetitive, it may at times be tedious and you find yourself asking why? But then you get a hug and the reasons to be cheerful stop that question in it's tracks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Years Have Passed.

21st Century Problems.