A plan for well being. Part 1.

Is it just me or are we getting weaker as a species? On returning to the school playground I have yet to encounter a single family that wasn't affected by illness in some shape or form over the Christmas holidays. For some it was just sniffles, for others it was make you stay in bed viruses and for the unfortunate few, hospitalisation. Now don't get nickers in a twist that I'm making a huge generalisation or down playing peoples individual sickness, but this winter seemed to floor the entire village I live in. My fellow "Stayers" will read this with a nod and a knowing smile. We, dear reader, are the hardy few. We may have the sniffles, we may even have a virus, but we've had those for about a year now, it's our new norm.

I say this slightly tongue in cheek. You see, when you "Jobbers" aren't around and we have uncensored conversations, by golly do we moan. And by we and sincerely mean we. I have a stock phrase in answer to the question "how are you?" Tip top tickety boo has been my reply for over a decade (no rhyme or reason it just is, don't even know where I picked it up from) and I should stop it, but it's now become part of who I am. I should stop it because it is a lie. I haven't been tip top or tickety boo for a long, long time.

Not a morning starts without a sore knee, back, shoulder, rib (a sock, a fecking sock) to contend with, not a day exists without a wince or a groan and no night sleeps starts without the 30 minute battle to find a position where the majority of my body is pain free enough to sleep. I don't say this to appear anything but honest. Most Stayers will be constantly carrying around a niggle of sorts (we're like professional athletes in that regard, no seriously, we are) and we try our best not to roll our eyes when a jobber acts as if they have been struck down like a victim of the plague, but I've come to the conclusion that this shouldn't be the norm.

Put viruses and genuine illness to one side and ask this question. Why do most of the population appear to be constantly suffering? Before you start it is not, I repeat not, down to workload (I have a full post on this one so hold your anger a week or 2). In all honesty when was the last time you felt good? Not OK but good, as though you could run all day, take on an army, clean a whole street of houses, do a 24 hour shift without sleep and still have enough energy for some special time with your chosen loved one. Was it today? Yesterday? In the last week or month? Are we longer than a year ago? Was it when you were on holiday (doubtful if you're a parent) or on a mini break sans kids? I'm guessing most of you, like me, haven't said yes yet and I really don't mean to bring you down but that can't be right, can it?

So I'm embarking on a mission. My next few posts will concentrate on this one issue, one I may need your help with, one that may have no single answer but one that I refuse to accept has no answer at all. I hope to create a plan for feeling good, maybe not all the time but at least some of it, and it starts today and it starts with a cup of tea. Until next time.........

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Years Have Passed.

21st Century Problems.