A Tough Question.

Now that the girl child is in juniors and the boy child has gone into year 1, a new question has arisen in the Castle. Is it time for the full time stay at home dad to go back to the coal face? Now the list of pro's to return to work is long, the list of con's not so much, so here end'th the discussion. Right?

Well apparently not. There are certain things that become second nature for the whole house when there is a stay at home parent. Clothes are clean, the house is of a state where you don't die of shame should visitors come a calling, meals are fresh and there is an instantly available parent needed when required at school. The dishwasher is empty, homework is complete, further study can be undertaken, emergency shops can be preformed and all deliveries can be accepted in person. Dogs can be walked, animals fed, cars MoT'd, bills paid on time and deals for broadband organised. I should go on but the point is made.

But is that enough? Should I stay at home because that's what the Castle is used to? Should I stay at home to sustain the household continuity? Or is it now time for the stay at home dad to become, well, a dad? Bring in an income, help with the bills, let the kids enjoy after school club, go on holiday. Hang on, go on holiday. An actual holiday. What the what? Time to dust off the old CV, I think the decision is made.

Or is it? I know, a lot of questions for one post but, every time I think I've cracked it I second guess myself. The level of income required to go back to work and to cover childcare costs, to cover travel expenses, to cover a new work wardrobe (shut up, it's the 21st century, I'm allowed to look good) and still attain the dream of a holiday is higher than when I gave up the daily grind. So here I am, catch 22 bound, with no room left for any more questions. Maybe I should write all this down somewhere and see if that helps, 'tis a tough question after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Years Have Passed.

21st Century Problems.