It's my Office

After time you realise that being a stay at home parent is your job. It's not well paid (0 hours contact and below minimum wage), the hours are long, the holidays are like working double shifts and, as previous posts have shown, your health suffers. But the perks are good (unlimited beverages and food), your employer loves you and the rewards, though few and far between, can be priceless. It's on certain mornings, the "clockwork" mornings, that you find yourself smiling.

Before my accidental house life I had worked all my life. Even during college and university days I held a part time job (the later turning into a full time job hence the lack of a degree) but I struggle to recall ever being so settled in the workplace. Yes the hours are long, but I enjoy the setting and can take my breaks when I want to, and yes it can be repetitive, but you know what, I eat food and wear clothes too, just crack on. But a weird realisation hit me the other day, I've designated myself an office space.

Since I kicked myself in the arse (that's ass to my American readers) and decided to post more regularly, I realised not only have I created a timetable for myself but also different areas of workspace. Early mornings means housework, midmorning shopping, then lunch, the afternoons are filled with errands and prepping dinner then I set myself down to write. Obviously it doesn't ever run that smoothly, but it is a timeframe I can work to and seems to be productive. Now every now and then an idea hits me and I write at strange times of day, but it seems to fit in as everything else (except the school runs) is flexible. So, pretty normal. Except where I do these tasks.

I have a lovely big wooden table in the dinning room. It's been with us since before the kids, has lots of space and is comforting to sit at. So why oh why do I do spend most of my life in the Kitchen. Obviously all food related activities take place there, but in possibly the smallest room in the house (second only to the under stairs cupboard) is where I do, well, everything. Let me tell you, nothing freaks the kids out more than wandering into the kitchen to find Daddy on the floor doing press ups to Bruno Mars whilst also cooking dinner. It's also the most likely place where you find me doing this, writing a blog. It's not comfortable, there's nowhere to sit, not particularly warm and, with the dishwasher and washing machine in close proximity, probably the loudest place in the Castle but it is where you are most likely to find me. And I've finally figured out why.

It's my office. No, I'm not a chef, I don't run a bakery from the house, I don't provide an ironing service and I certainly don't take in anyone else's dirty washing. But this is my comfort zone, the one area in the house that I can control, and as such, the area where I'm most productive. So this is my office, and if you don't mind, I have work to do and Bruno is calling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Years Have Passed.

21st Century Problems.