May the music play on.

Another interview, another thanks but no thanks. Another day of application form filling followed by another morning lost to an interview to which the answer was a predictable "no". I know I'm not the only one in this boat but I do feel as though I'm sailing this one on my own. Don't get me wrong, the wonderful wife is very supportive, says all the right things and puts no pressure at all on my job hunting activities, but this is beginning to get to me. What makes this one worse is I didn't even want this job.

Yep, you read that right, I applied for a job I knew I didn't want. I went to an interview for a job I didn't want, and you know what? If they had offered me the job I would have still said yes. This is the stage, after nearly 2 years of job hunting, that I am at. The confidence is gone. No longer am I looking at positions I think I can do, that work for the family and provide enough income to be viable, no longer am I reaching for that role that, once the kids are old enough, could develop into a career to see me into old(er) age and provide a level of work satisfaction I crave. No longer am I dissecting the job advert checking every detail to make sure it fits, no longer is travel distance an issue, working weekends is becoming a viable option and no longer am I discarding the late night shifts while contemplating applying. And what have I discovered? Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to matter.

I'm trying to find an upbeat tone to this article but it's hard. The negative thoughts going through my normally positive mind are beginning to win and that worries me. I've always been a glass half full kind of guy (much to the annoyance of most who know me) but right at this minute I'm beginning to wonder if I have a glass at all. I go about my daily house husband duties as normal but yesterday, for the first time I can remember, there was no music playing. Background music has been an integral part of my accidental house life, setting the mood and pace to my daily existence. I have more playlists than hair on my head (actually scratch that, you've seen the photo, more playlists than Spotify) yet yesterday there was silence and I didn't notice. That final job rejection turned my world silent.

But not for long. Because you know what, I found my glass and the stereo remote. The decisions we made 8 years ago were the right ones. The sacrifices we made were worth it. The kids are happy and healthy, unburdened by the stresses and strains of adult life and that's how it should be. We have a motto at the Castle, "Fraser's try and keep trying, and then we ask for help". I know, doesn't exactly roll of the tongue, but it works for us. So back I went to scouring the jobs section and hey presto, I found a job I like, nay want, that fits. One application form later and the tunes are pumping. I may not get it, heck I may not get an interview, but I'm still in the trying phase and I know when I need it help will be out there. So until that stage comes, fill my glass and turn the music up.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Years Have Passed.

21st Century Problems.